- Common lands and Customary law, published by OUP Delhi, 1996. See abstract. (This book is the first study of common lands in India.)
- “Village communities and ‘publicness’ in northern India: Self-governance of common property” in Haruka Yanagisawa (Ed.) Community, Commons and Natural Resource Management in Asia, Singapore: NUS Press, pp. 82-112, 2015.
- “Shifting landscapes: The making and re-making of village commons in India”, Contributions To Indian Sociology, volume 41, pp.270-272, 2007.
- “Dam a river, why Damn a People?”, Alp Jan, Vol.II, No.2, pp.28-37, Jan-March, 2002.
- “Market Success or Community Failure? Common Property Resources in Colonial North India and a Case Illustration from a Cluster”, Indian Economic and Social History Review, Vol. XXXVI, No.3, pp.355-87, August, 1999. Download.
- “Transhumance and customary pastoral rights in Himachal Pradesh: Claiming the high pastures for Gaddis”, Mountain Research and Development, Vol.18, No.1, pp.5-17, 1998.
- “Transhumance – A pastoral response to risk and uncertainty in the Himalayas”, Nomadic Peoples, pp.133-150, (Bergahn Journals) 1997.
- “Forest Law and Forest Rights in the Himalayas 1878-1978”, Forestry Legislation, Report of the IUFRO Subject Group S6.13, Volume 12, pp.1-23, 1996.
- “For minorities now, it’s fight or be damned”, Economic Times on Sunday, June 17, 1994.
- “The Commons in the Punjab”, Tools and Tillage, Vol.VII,No.1, pp.29-47, 1992.
- “Commons, Community and the Chief Court of Punjab”, Indian Economic and Social History Review, Vol. XXXIX, No.4, pp.393-436, Dec. 1992. Download.
- “Two Centuries of Forest Exploitation in North India”, Centennial Volume IUFRO, Eberswalde, Germany, 1992.
- “Two Centuries on the Commons: The Bisagama Cluster in Delhi”, Quaderni Storici, nuova serie, special issue on ‘Common Lands and Practices in the Collective Use of Resources’, 1992.
Conference Papers (selected, over 100 presented)
- “Severance of a Traditional Grazing Landscape in the Himalayas: Commons and Ecosystems in Crisis?”, in Rotherham, Ian D. (Ed.), Cultural Severance and the Environment: The Ending of Traditional and Customary Practice on Commons and Landscapes Managed in Common, pp.87-105, 2013. (Springer)
- “Historic enclosures: Local problems – Global solution, Argyllshire in the 19th century compared to enclosures of another kind : Global problems – Local solution, India in the 21st century”, in Proceedings of the Twelfth Binennial Conference of the International Association for the Study of the Commons, Cheltenham, UK, July 2008.
- “Fractured ecology and endangered livelihoods”, Workshop on Pastoralism, Sustainability and Devlopment, IDS, Jaipur, Nov.21-22, 2007.